Whirlpool Gold refrigerators can sometimes be a cause of concern for their owners. Many individuals end up spending significant amounts of money on repairs, unaware that most of the troubleshooting for Whirlpool Gold refrigerators can be done by themselves.
There are several common issues that can be resolved through DIY troubleshooting. These include problems with cooling, freezing, ice production, water and ice dispensing, and defrosting. In most cases, these issues have underlying causes that can be addressed without the need for professional assistance. This guide aims to provide simple yet effective solutions to help you restore your Whirlpool Gold refrigerator’s functionality.
To ensure ease of use, this troubleshooting manual has been designed to be straightforward, while also offering some valuable tips to assist you in resolving the issues with your Whirlpool Gold refrigerator.
Now, let’s delve into the troubleshooting process.
Quick Troubleshooting Guide
|Refrigerator Not Cooling||Not cooling or freezing: Wrong temperature setting, warm location, unleveled installation, leaky gasket, dirty condenser coils, obstructed air vents, or failed component (compressor, start capacitor, temp control board, or start relay) Not cooling but freezing: Frosted-over evaporator coils or faulty evaporator fan motor, defrost system, temp control board, damper control, or main control board||Not cooling or freezing: Set the temperature and freezer temperature at 33 – 40°F and 0°F or less. Move the unit away from a warm and unleveled location and replace a leaky gasket. Clean dirty condenser coils and unblock the air vents. Call an expert to check and replace any defective component Not cooling but freezing: Leave the refrigerator to self-defrost by unplugging it and replace the fan motor if the blade won’t turn by hand or the motor is too noisy. Call an expert to check the rest.|
|Not Making Ice||Disconnected or blocked water line, the shut-off valve is off, clogged filter, trapped air, warm freezer, low water pressure, mispositioned control arm, or defective water inlet valve||Ensure the water line is connected and unblock it if it’s kinked or frozen. Open the shut-off valve, replace a clogged filter and flush out trapped air. Set the freezer at 0°F or less and adjust the water pressure to 30 – 120psi. Properly position the control arm and replace a bad water inlet valve|
|Not Dispensing Water||Trapped air, low water pressure, Clogged or wrongly fitted filter, blocked or disconnected water line, Control Lock or bad dispenser/door switch or water inlet valve||Flush out trapped air and set the water pressure at 30 – 120 psi. Replace a clogged or damaged filter, and correctly connect and unblock the water line. Disable Control Lock and replace a bad switch or water inlet valve|
|Not Dispensing Ice||Ice clumping, faulty door or dispenser switch, Control Lock or faulty auger motor, dispenser control board, ice crusher auger or ice maker||Remove the ice clump (with a plastic utensil), replace a faulty door or dispenser switch, and disable the Control Lock. Leave the rest to an expert and if the ice maker is not working, replace it|
|Not Defrosting||Defective defrosting system component (heater, timer, or control board) or thermostat||Replace the faulty defrost component or thermostat|
Troubleshooting Common Problems with Whirlpool Gold Refrigerators
If you own a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator and are experiencing issues, it’s important to know that many of these problems can be resolved through do-it-yourself (DIY) troubleshooting. Here are five common problems and their potential solutions:
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Cooling
- Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Cooling or Freezing:
- Check the temperature setting and ensure it is within the recommended range (33-40°F for the refrigerator, 0°F or lower for the freezer).
- Make sure the refrigerator is not located in a warm environment, such as a garage, as this can affect its cooling performance.
- Verify that the refrigerator is level to ensure proper cooling.
- Inspect the door seal/gasket for any leaks or damage that may be causing air leaks.
- Clean the condenser coils if they are dirty, as this can impact cooling efficiency.
- Avoid overstuffing the refrigerator, as it can obstruct air vents and affect cooling.
- If none of these steps resolve the issue, there may be a faulty component such as the compressor, start capacitor, temperature control board, or start relay, which would require professional assistance.
- Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Cooling But Freezer Works:
- If the refrigerator compartment is warm while the freezer is cold, check for frosted evaporator coils, a faulty evaporator fan motor, a defective defrost system, a malfunctioning temperature control board, a faulty damper control, or a failed main control board.
- Solutions will depend on the specific component causing the issue and may require professional help.
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Making Ice
- Check the water line for any disconnections, blockages, or kinks that may be preventing water from reaching the ice maker.
- Ensure that the water shut-off valve is open and supplying water to the ice maker.
- Replace a clogged water filter if necessary.
- Flush out the water system after a filter change to remove trapped air.
- Confirm that the freezer temperature is set at 0°F.
- Adjust the water pressure within the recommended range of 30-120 psi.
- If the control arm is broken or out of place, it may need to be replaced.
- A faulty water inlet valve could also be the cause, requiring professional assistance.
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water
- Flush out trapped air from the water line after a filter change.
- Ensure the water pressure is within the recommended range.
- Check for a clogged or improperly fitted water filter and replace if necessary.
- Verify that the water line is not blocked, kinked, or disconnected.
- Disable the Control Lock function if enabled.
- Test and replace the dispenser or door switch if faulty.
- If none of these steps resolve the issue, a faulty water inlet valve may be the cause, requiring professional assistance.
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Dispensing Ice
- Remove any ice clumps in the delivery chute and ice bin that may be obstructing ice flow.
- Test the dispenser switch for continuity and replace if necessary.
- Disable the Control Lock function if active.
- Faulty components such as the auger motor, dispenser control board, ice crusher auger, or ice crusher blade may require professional assistance.
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Defrosting
If your Whirlpool Gold refrigerator is not defrosting properly, the problem may lie with one of the following defrost system components:
- Defrost Heater: A defective defrost heater will fail to melt the accumulated frost.
- Defrost Timer: A faulty defrost timer may prevent the refrigerator from entering the defrost cycle.
- Defrost Control Board: If the defrost control board is not functioning correctly, the defrost cycle won’t run.
- Defrost Thermostat: A broken or defective defrost thermostat can cause the defrost heater to malfunction, leading to ice buildup.
DIY Fix/When to Contact an Expert:
Examining and repairing the defrost system components requires the expertise of a professional refrigerator technician. It is recommended to seek their assistance.
How to Reset a Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator
To reset your Whirlpool Gold refrigerator, you have a couple of options:
- Press and hold the in-door reset button for a few seconds.
- Unplug the refrigerator for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
- If you’ve recently replaced the water filter, press the filter reset button to reset it.
You now have a basic understanding of troubleshooting Whirlpool Gold refrigerator issues. Utilize this guide to address common problems with your refrigerator.
Remember, it’s only necessary to contact a professional technician when you are unable to resolve the problem on your own. Not all issues require expert assistance.