Don’t you hate it when you run out of ice during a cocktail party or hot summer days? It can be such a damper when your fridge does not produce enough ice when you need it.
We have got you if you want to buy the best ice makers for your home. After reviewing and trying, we bring you a list of the best ice makers, the following and more in the article.
- What is an ice maker?
- How long do countertop ice makers last?
- How long does it take to get ice?
An ice maker machine will ease the task of making ice or buying store ice at the convenience of your home with minimum effort.
Top pick: Frigidaire EFIC189 Compact Ice Maker
Our top pick is from one of the most trusted brands in kitchen appliances- the Frigidaire EFIC189 Compact Ice Maker. This ice maker is easy on your pocket, easy on space, and pleasing to the eyes with its modern design. The ice maker is made of quality products and finished with stainless steel.
Here are its key features-
- The whole product comes with a machine, shovel and a basket. It can produce 26 pounds of ice cubes within 6-8 minutes, and you can expect to get a basket full of ice in an hour max. The product also gives you two ice shape options.
- Unlike other alarms on appliances that work on sounds, the LED features change the light color to alert the user when it needs water to make ice or when it is done making ice. You no longer have to listen to loud alarms.
- The ice maker shuts down by itself when it runs out of water.
- The product is easy to clean. After use, excess water is removed through an outlet at the bottom.
What is an ice maker?
In simple words, an ice maker is a machine that makes ice. The purpose of the ice machine is only to make ice cubes or pecs. Ice maker machines can produce many ice cubes in a fraction of a few minutes. They are easy to use and portable, which can be easily tucked away or kept on the counter without occupying much space.
Refrigerators are not portable, whereas ice maker machines are portable. However, the ice maker is not confused with a refrigerator as although it produces ice, it does not store it. It takes longer in a refrigerator to make ice, but it keeps it frozen without melting. An ice maker takes a shorter time to make ice but does not store it, making it melt.
The portable feature makes it handy for outdoor activities. According to Bosch’s study, an average American consumes 116 glasses of ice per month, making Americans literally “ice obsessed”. Given such data, it can be understood that ice makers are a staple for most American homes.
How does a portable ice maker work?
The portable ice maker works in the following ways
- Since the ice maker needs electricity, it needs to be connected to a point.
- Water needs to be manually added to the ice maker. The amount of water added is given in the instruction as different ice makers have different capacities.
- You can switch on the power button and choose the size of the ice cubes as per your preference. Some or most ice makers do come with an ice size option.
- A standard portable ice maker takes 6-10 minutes to give you many ice cubes. Note that the ice maker does not store it frozen once it is produced. It melts away.
How long do countertop ice makers last?
The lifetime of any appliance or machine is intrinsically affected by its quality, usage and maintenance. A good quality countertop ice maker used daily can last anywhere from 4-6 years. Most companies will provide a warranty period of 2 years maximum if lucky. A three years warranty is a luxury.
If the ice maker is used sparsely, you can expect it to last for ten years. Having said that, regular clean-up and maintenance can sustain a longer life for these appliances.
What is the best water to use in an ice maker?
If you want to make the best ice, use filtered water, as it is the best kind of water to use to give you crystal clear ice cubes.
For making ice in an ice maker, you can also use water for drinking, potable water or distilled. Make sure the water is fit for drinking and clean. Contaminated or unfiltered hard water will give you hazy-colored ice, which can dilute the taste of your drink and your water.
However, there can be a preventive when using filtered or distilled water. Since such water does not have many mineral nutrients, water sensors in ice maker machines might not pick up such water for making ice. When such things happen, the trick is to add a pinch of salt to the water.
Make sure you change the water in the ice maker once a day for hygiene and better ice quality.
What kind of water makes clear ice?
If you are wondering what kind of water makes clear ice, the answer is filtered or distilled water. Since such waters are cleared of all impurities and other particles, it gives clear ice.
Should you leave your ice maker on all the time?
The answer to this question is dependent on whether you use it daily or not. If you use the ice maker machine daily, you should leave your ice maker machine on all the time. Even if you don’t use the ice cubes immediately, after it melts and becomes water, the water will be automatically converted into ice cubes again.
If you don’t always need the ice, you can shut it down. The machine will shut down by itself if there is no water in the machine.
Do ice makers stop making ice when they’re full?
Ice makers that have sensors for detecting if the ice tray is full will stop making ice once it detects it is full. However, one needs to understand that not all ice makers have such automated sensors.
Ice makers without such sensors will have to clear out the ice collecting tray to avoid the pile-up. Ice makers with such sensors stop once the ice tray is full.
How long does it take to get ice?
A standard good quality ice maker machine will take anywhere between 6 to 9 minutes to start giving you ice. The difference in brand and machine quality may affect the time used to produce the ice.
If you are making ice in a refrigerator, it will take you a good 90 minutes to get an ice tray.
How do you clean an ice maker machine?
Most ice maker machines come with a self-cleaning feature inbuilt. You can easily press the self-clean button and get your ice maker clean. When you self-clean, the water left is removed through an outlet from the machine to keep the inside dry.
However, the self-clean feature alone is not enough to keep the machine clean and smelling fresh. A manual clean-up is necessary to keep the ice maker machine clean and fresh. If you have a removable ice tray, give it a good rinse. You can use lemon and vinegar-infused solution to give the machine a good wipe down both inside and the outside.
What are the things to know before buying an ice maker?
Before buying an ice maker, consider a few things to make sure you buy the best. Doing a little research and narrowing down your choices and preferences can help you get to your product faster. Make sure you narrow down what you want and set your budget; you don’t want to be breaking your bank for an ice maker. Here is a list of things to consider-
- The space-ice makers are another appliance that needs space in the kitchen. Indeed, it might not take as much space as a fridge, yet if you are limited on the kitchen counter, think about the ice maker again. They are portable, but you don’t want to move them around every time you have to use them. If you have space, then go for it.
- The size- the size of the ice maker matter for the above-mentioned reason. The bigger the size, the more space it occupies. Also, if you are a small family of four to five, standard 26lbs ice makers will do it for you. For commercial or business use, bugger ice makers will be required.
- The features- look for machines that make less sound, are energy-efficient, have self-cleaning features and are automated. Look for features that cannot be compromised, as mentioned.
Ice Makers Reviews
Dreamiracle Ice Maker Machine Countertop
The Dreamiracle Ice Maker Machine Countertop is another of our top picks. This machine truly has tons of cool and smart features. It is almost silent, has intelligent sensor technology and can self-clean. You can expect 9 ice bullets in 8 minutes and about 26lbs ice in a day.
What do we like?
Self Cleaning feature- an appliance that can clean itself by pushing a button is just icing on the cake.
Ice-making options– it offers two varieties of ice shapes.
- Self-cleaning feature
- Automated sensor technology
- It makes significantly less sound- 45 decibel sound
- The ice tray is smaller in size as compared with others.
Euhomy Ice Maker Machine Countertop
Another best product is the Euhomy Ice Maker Machine Countertop. This affordable, portable silent ice maker machine is designed for smart modern homes. Within 6-9 minutes, you can expect 9 bullet ice pecs ready to use.
What do we like?
Nine ice pecs– after a brief 6-9 minutes wait, you can expect 9 perfectly made ice pecs ready.
Circulating water tank– with a capacity of 2.2 liters, the ice maker recirculates water to minimize waste wastage.
- The compressor makes significantly less noise
- The quality is sturdy yet elegant in design
- The option of choosing ice shapes
- The product says self-clean, but there is no self-clean
Oline Ice Maker Machine
The affordably priced and easy-to-use Oline Ice Maker Machine is another of our best ice makers. This ice maker has a capacity of 26 lbs ice production with 9 pecs of ice within 7-9 minutes. Portable and easy to use, with ice size options for large and small, this is a steal.
What do we like?
Quiet machine– the product makes almost no sound when in use.
Cool design- you can easily choose the product’s colour as it comes in a good variety of colors.
- The product is quiet
- Automated Self-cleaning
- The ice tray is small
Wizisa Ice Maker Machine for Countertop
Our top pick is not complete without the Wizisa Ice Maker Machine for Countertop. This stylish and convenient-to-use ice maker will alleviate your aesthetics. The product is made from food-grade material, which is safe for consumption. It is a product that signifies quality and style.
What do we like?
Quiet as it can get– with a sound decibel of 35, the machine does its job quietly.
Stylish and Convenient design– this stylish design will alleviate your kitchen aesthetics.
- Infrared sensor technology
- 9 bullet ice pecs ready in 6-8 min
- Energy-efficient machine
- Come only with basic instructions with no customer support
Long gone are when you needed to go to the store to get ice for parties and hot summer days. With our top pick Frigidaire compact ice maker, you can conveniently make ice without hassle. Be indoors on the kitchen countertop or outdoors on a picnic or a barbeque party; these ice makers will keep those ice coming efficiently.