Let’s face it; most apartments are not the ideal place to invest in a jumbo fridge. But space constraint does not mean that you should compromise on the quality of the appliances.
The best fridge for an apartment is one that is compact and has essential features. Today, we have shortlisted some of the best refrigerators you can fit into your apartment without cramming the entire home. If you liked this post we also cover top fridges for the garage, home bar, basement, and sheds. In this post we will also cover:
- How to choose.
- What are the advantages/benefits of a fridge for an apartment?
- Prerequisites/precautions for using an apartment fridge.
Best Fridge For An Apartment Are:
- Frigidaire FFTR1814TB Top Freezer Refrigerator
- GE Profile PVD28BYNFS Refrigerator
- Galanz Two Door Black Compact Fridge
- Midea WHD-113FB1 Compact Refrigerator
- RecPro RV Refrigerator Stainless Steel
Best Pick – Frigidaire FFTR1814TB Top Freezer Refrigerator
Our top pick and one of the best slim refrigerators for apartments hits a good balance of practicality and price. First off, the FFTR1814TB model clocks in at 18 cu.ft, which is sufficient space for a week’s supply of food.
Besides, the freestanding design is an ideal choice for most medium apartments. Among the top features we like are the gallon door shelf, humidity-controlled drawers, and auto-defrost.
Also, the reversible door feature in this fridge means it is suitable for right and left-handed users. Furthermore, the interior lighting in this Frigidaire model is a total standout.
Lastly, the FFTR1814TB comes at an unbeatable price and a top-of-the-class warranty.
How to choose
When it comes to choosing the best fridge for apartments, here are the key features that you need to consider.
- Size vs. space
Perhaps the most critical thing to consider is how much space you have in your apartment. Naturally, you can’t fit a 30cu.ft fridge into a studio apartment and vice versa.
Of course, you don’t have to go for a mini-version like you would in a dorm. But for most apartments, fridges between 5 and 10 cu.ft is a good choice.
- Design vs. color
A refrigerator with a freestanding design is suitable for an apartment because its streamlined shape makes it take up less space than most other refrigerators.
In addition, fridges come in a gamut of colors and aesthetic components. You can choose a fridge that complements your apartment’s interiors or choose a bold, eclectic color.
The price of the fridge is another vital consideration for the best fridge for an apartment. Large fridges carry the most expensive price tag. However, some smaller fridges can also have a premium price. Of course, this is directly proportional to the features, so budgeting is totally up to you.
What are the advantages/benefits of a fridge for an apartment?
Refrigerators come with many advantages, but for an apartment, they can be even more convenient.
- It opens up space
Bringing home the best fridge to fit your apartment can also open up space. The streamlined design and aesthetics can make your apartment look a lot more spacious and organized.
- Elevates the overall experience
A small fridge is synonymous with limited features. However, modern apartment fridges come with top features as manufacturers keep improving their products. Therefore, you will find apartment fridges with an internal water dispenser and ice-cube maker and other features.
Prerequisites/precautions for using an apartment fridge
Although refrigerators do not obligate you to follow safety precautions regardless of where they are used, ensuring safety while moving or positing your fridge is vital.
In this regard, reading the owner’s manual of the fridge is the best way to go. Besides, proper food storage in the right sections is also vital to make the most of your fridge. You might also want to keep an eye on the fridge’s temperature from time to time.
Alternate options for an apartment fridge
Luxury Pick – GE Profile PVD28BYNFS Refrigerator
If you like fancy as well as functional kitchen appliances, this luxurious fridge might just be your match. The PVD28BYNFS from GE Appliances has a 27.6 cu.ft capacity and comes with premium features.
Our personal favorites are TwinChill evaporators, a rotating door bin, and built-in Wi-Fi. In addition, the storage space is massive, and this fridge is fingerprint-resistant.
- Wi-Fi connectivity alerts for when the doors are left open
- Great quality LEDs
- Four-door design
- Very pricey
Galanz Two Door Black Compact Fridge
This compact fridge from Galanz might be a great choice if your apartment is on the smaller side or you live alone. Despite its 3.1cu.ft, it will fit your essentials nicely, which is excellent.
Besides, the two-door design is something we like. Furthermore, features like the adjustable thermostat and reversible door make this small fridge a great choice.
- Sliding glass shelves
- Compact design
- It comes with a can dispenser
- Not suitable for larger apartments
Midea WHD-113FB1 Compact Refrigerator
This compact fridge is also a great choice for apartments in our opinion. It has a freestanding design and a convenient reversible door. It is a compact fridge with a 3.1cu.ft capacity with different storage compartments.
In addition, the WHD-113FB1 comes with a fantastic temperature range. This fridge comes in three colors – black, white, and stainless steel if you like color options.
- Good storage capacity
- Doors are reversible
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- The freezer feature is a bit substandard
RecPro RV Refrigerator Stainless Steel
Our last pick is this massive fridge from RecPro. But don’t let the vast size stop you from getting it to your apartment. It has a freestanding and has a slim design so that it won’t take up a lot of floor space.
Clocking in at 10cu.ft, this fridge is a beauty with plenty of room for your food and veggies and more. In addition, it has excellent features, including reversible doors, frost-free function, and a top freezer.
Overall, this RecPro fridge might be the best choice if you are a family with a couple of kids. Or if you want more storage space in your fridge without sacrificing a lot of living space.
- Lots of storage space
- It comes with reversible doors
- Effortless maintenance as it is frost-free
- It may not be suitable if your apartment is small.
How to recycle or dispose of a fridge when you move out from an apartment
1. Get rid of fridge: Contact local waste management. See if they collect appliances. Ask if they will pick up your fridge.
2. Recycle: Find recycling centers that accept fridges. Take fridge to nearest center.
3. Donate: Ask if friends or family need fridge. Give to charity or donate to someone in need.
Smart refrigerators can help in an apartment setting
Smart refrigerators are becoming increasingly popular in apartment settings due to their advanced features and convenience. Some of the key benefits of smart refrigerators for apartments include:
1. Remote access and control: Smart refrigerators can be controlled and monitored remotely via a smartphone app, which allows you to check the temperature, adjust settings, and even view the contents of your fridge from anywhere.
2. Smart organization: Smart refrigerators come with built-in cameras that allow you to see what’s inside your fridge without having to open the door. This can help you keep track of what you need to buy, and avoid unnecessary food waste.
3. Energy efficiency: Smart refrigerators are designed to be energy-efficient, with features such as automatic temperature control and energy-saving modes. This can help lower your energy bills and reduce your environmental impact.
4. Automated grocery ordering: Some smart refrigerators come with integrated grocery ordering systems, which allow you to automatically reorder items as they run low. This can save time and hassle for apartment dwellers who are short on time.
5. Food management: Smart refrigerators have sensors and cameras to help you monitor your food inventory and expiration dates, so you can plan your meals and avoid food waste.
6. Entertainment: Smart refrigerators come with integrated touchscreens, which can be used to stream music, videos, and even access to social media.
Overall, smart refrigerators can help simplify and improve your daily life in an apartment setting, making it more convenient and efficient.
How to properly measure and select a fridge that will fit in your apartment’s kitchen
Measure the space where the fridge will go. Measure the height, width and depth of the area. Take into account any walls, countertops or cabinets that may be in the way. Make sure the fridge will fit in the space. Measure the doorways.
Measure the doorways, hallways and stairwells to ensure that the fridge will fit through them when delivered. Choose the right size. Consider the number of people living in the apartment and your cooking habits. A small fridge may be enough for one or two people.
A bigger fridge may be needed for a family or those who entertain. Check Energy Star rating for energy efficiency. Look for features like a freezer, ice maker or water dispenser. Think about the style you like, such as top-freezer, bottom-freezer or side-by-side.
Measure the door opening, check the distance between the fridge and the cabinet above it, and the distance from the top of the fridge to the ceiling. Make sure the door will open properly.