What Do You Need Your Fridge To Do For You? – Refrigerator Features – Short Guide
Refrigerators are very important appliances in the modern home. We all know we couldn’t get by without them. So, it seems only reasonable that we should try to better understand how they work and what are their most important features.
I’ve studied refrigerators and worked on their designs for a long time now, so I have a thing or two to say about the craftsmanship, efficiency, temperature settings, cooling and all other important features.
How do you know what to look for and what are the features that count most?
I’ll help you become an expert, just follow this guide.
We’ll start with some basics. In time I’ll update this page with more and more information, covering the innovations that take place in the meantime.
Refrigerator storage capacity
We all want to keep our food fresh for as long as we can. Current refrigerators provide various choices when it comes to freshness technology and temperature settings. Different designs offer shelfs and bins settings that benefit of independently adjustable humidity and temperature.
I tend to like more the compartments that let you see in. This way I don’t waste time looking in every compartment to find what I need. There are several types of storage designs. Lets take a look at a couple of options:
- Storage compartments: They are usually gallon size. They are re-positional so you can move them around to suit your needs. Even more, they are also transparent and they slide in and out for easy access. They do a great job in keeping things organized.
- Sliding Shelves: Don’t you just love them? They are very convenient, especially for large or heavy things like turkeys or big casseroles. It’s so natural to slide out the shelf and place your food on it and then just slide back in. Some manufacturers design removable, foldable and even retractable shelves.
Spill Proof Glass Shelves:
- This is a complete life-saver in my house. Someone is always spilling something… These spill proof shelves have a slight raised edge, so when something is spilled it is contained on that shelf. It’s so easy to clean up – take the shelf right out, put it in the sink, wash it and put it back in the fridge in minutes.
The Full-Width Deli Tray and a Built-in Beverage Holder are also very popular.
I’m also a wine connoisseur so it should not come as a surprise that I highly appreciate a good, sturdy wine rack. It’s a great and also very practical idea.
Now let’s take a look at some technical features – I know they’re not that fun to talk about but they’re very important.
The Chill and Climate-Control – simply put, it’s the dial that controls the temperature inside of your unit. The latest models however feature an LED screen that puts all settings in one place, making it all more user-friendly.
The ice maker – well, we all know what that does. A thing to note here is that the more expensive refrigerators can make ice cubes as well as smashed ice to use for smoothies for example.
The Multizone Cooling System is one of the most appreciated innovations. It allows you to set different temperatures in different sections of your refrigerator. So you can set a proper temperature for meats, dairy, fruit, and vegetables. This enables them to retain their freshness longer. You can control both humidity and temperature.
Quick-Cooling Compartments – self explained.
External Safety Features: I know how child lock is important to my peace of mind.
Temperature and Door Alarms: It notifies you if the door remains open for too long and the proper operation is affected.
Some things to consider before buying a fridge
- Your space – How much do you have available? Be sure to make accurate measurements.
- Refrigerator storage capacity – How big is your family? Do you do a lot of home cooking?
- What’s your style? You can pick from a wide range of refrigerator types: side-be-side, top freezer, bottom freezer, French Door, double door and so on… Take advantage of the reviews I wrote and the tests I run on this website to get a better idea of what is a good fit for your specific needs.
- Look for an energy efficient refrigerator – even more so, an Energy Star Rated appliance.
Care to share your feedback? Please use the comments section below and share your thoughts.