Refrigerator damage is usually common and shared by most users: it began to make a different sound than normal, the light turns on but the fridge does not cool, the temperature is not usual, among others.
What to do as a preliminary step to call the technical service for the refrigerator?
1. If normal noise is not heard and the light bulbs inside the refrigerator do not come on, check if it is properly plugged in and if the outlet is working properly.
If using an extension cord, remove it and test it with another appliance. It could be in poor condition and prevent the operation of the fridge.
2. If the light comes on, but the refrigerator cannot be heard working, put you ear against the appliance to notice if any strange noise from any component is heard.
Some tests can be done to see if it returns to normal:
- move the temperature control to colder;
- clean the condenser coils with a vacuum cleaner or brush;
- check the compressor fan;
- check thermostatic temperature control;
- check evaporator fan;
- Check the compressor itself.
3. If the temperature is not adequate, it is recommended to check the internal temperature control. The refrigerator should be between 37 and 40 ° F (3 to 4 ° C), and the freezer between 0 and 5 ° F (-15 to -18 ° C).
4. If the refrigerator stops and starts to run constantly, the first step is to clean the tube rack, and check the voltage of the outlet. If that is not the problem, it could be the freezer fan, the compressor relay, the overload protector or the compressor itself.
In case you do not find the fault, you cannot perform any of the tests, or you simply want a specialist to check your fridge, do not hesitate to browse online – there are a lot of guides to help you in the struggle.
Broken fridge alternative solution
If you find yourself with a broken fridge, there are a few alternative solutions you can consider. One option is to use a temporary mini fridge. Mini fridges are small, compact refrigerators that can be used as a temporary replacement while your main fridge is being repaired or replaced. They are great for keeping a small amount of food and drinks cold, and can be easily transported from room to room.
Another option is to use a cooler. Coolers are portable insulated containers that are designed to keep food and drinks cold for a certain period of time. They come in different sizes and are perfect for outdoor activities or for short term use.
A third option is to use a combination of the above two solutions, for example, storing perishable items in a mini fridge and non-perishable items in a cooler.
It’s important to keep in mind that these alternative solutions are not a permanent replacement for a broken fridge, but they can help you get by while you figure out a more long-term solution.
When determining if your refrigerator is faulty, there are a few steps you can take. The first step is to check the temperature. If the fridge is not cooling down or is too warm, it could be a sign that the thermostat is malfunctioning. You can check the temperature by using a thermometer or by checking the temperature control settings.
Another step is to check for leaks or unusual noises. If you notice water pooling around the fridge or if you hear strange noises coming from the fridge, it could be a sign of a leak or a malfunctioning compressor. You should also check the door seals and make sure they are tight and not allowing cool air to escape.
Lastly, pay attention to your energy bill, if you notice that your energy bill is high and it’s not usual, it could be a sign that your refrigerator is not working efficiently. To check this, you can measure the temperature of your fridge and compare it to the temperature you have set, if it’s not the same, it could be a sign that your fridge is not working as it should.
It’s always a good idea to consult the manual or contact the manufacturer if you’re unsure about what’s causing the problem or if you’re unable to fix it. A professional repair service can also be contacted for help.